Can we get "Tomboys" as a Tag? (Bring Justice to the Tomboys)

Can we get "Tomboys" as a Tag? (Bring Justice to the Tomboys)

• Yes!! (Tomboys Master Race!!)

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • No?? (Heathens)

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Show me the Results

Votes: 11 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm clearly biased with this one but.... Tomboys have been around for so long now but for some reason no one (aside from "Cultured" websites) have them as tags. So can we finally bring justice to the CLEARLY-the-best-type of girls; The sacred tomboys. Pretty please?😘

A Few Tomboys:

P.S While it looks like I'm just messing around, I'm actually serious about this.

Edit ---> Fixed one of the links

Dex-chan lover
Also a no from me. Why?
This to me is like saying we need to add tsundere/yandere/hetare/mary su tags too, which is just way too specific.

Dex-chan lover
Too many tags IMO, so also no from me.
And I believe MD said something like they are not here to make tagging system or so.

I popped the no button. There's already a few tags that are a little too specific in my opinion. The more tags there are, the higher the chances of things being mislabeled. As it is right now, I already get subtly annoyed by tags being too specific because I enjoy some surprises.
I also disagree that the tag system should continue to be expanded just for the sake of accommodating specific fetishes. That's a road that never ends and it would just be another thing for people bicker about since a lot of tags are somewhat subjective as well. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's come across a story and wondered why it had a certain tag.

Contributor
Most people tag incorrectly. The less tags we have the easier it is to moderate the content.

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?category=Tomboy/s if you want a list of tomboy content

I get where people are coming from when they say there's too many tags especially with the zombies, ghosts (WTH?), vampires, monsters and demons (aren't monsters and demons the same?) but unlike those less used and quite frankly irrelevant tags, tomboys have been in mangas for longer and appear much more, with tomboys being one of its main themes.

@sterven & @AbyssalMonkey
I wouldn't compare tomboys with tsundere, yandere and kuudere. These personality tropes have been watered down to the point that its almost common or expected for mangas to have one of those. I would probably compare it to the crossdressing tag instead. It's common but more- for lack of a better work "focused" (It's not just throw away trope).

@AbyssalMonkey

Vampires, zombies and ghosts are cultural phenoms but are they relevant in manga cultures? Frankly, I don't know either but if you ask me which shows up in mangas more as a main or sub theme then I'd go for tomboys, unless you count every fantasy with zombies and ghosts as monsters in them. Then wouldn't tomboys be more of a content tag?

I don't really think it should be a content tag but I also don't think that just dismissing it as a fetish tag is appropriate, great examples of this would be Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! and Biyaku Cafe where being boyish is actually the main theme that the story revolves around. The point is there are niche genres in media are actually quite common in the manga culture.

So here's my take on this, MD shouldn't only have content and containment tags, rather also have tags that are actually popular and relevant in the manga culture, I'll call these "compound tags" for now. These compound tags are usually in between two other genres. It's kinda like colours where if you mix main colours you get a compound colour BUT these compound colours are also widely used, right now that's what it feels like Tomboys and other tags like Villainess/Otome where they're in between two genres but are also popular in and of itself. This is why I actually think gyaru is a valid tag, I do think it was created far too early especially when we have a delinquent tag.

I do heavily agree you with the creation of a guideline. In the end MD will have to make a choice and create a tagging guideline, and they need to do so quickly. Only time will tell whether people will have to use another website in order to find series with these kinds of tags.

Edit ---> I was actually thinking about primary and secondary colours but got too into the word "compound"🤣

Users who are viewing this thread