Site Feedback Reply Thread

is a Reindeer
VIP
To avoid cluttering up the main announcement thread and to clear up points that people bring up.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@frreshmeat
@GoLD
@ChromeComet
@Fifteen
>1. Would be good to automatically mark chapter as read even if the manga is not 'followed' or marked as 'reading'

We used to track all chapters read regardless of following or not but the amount of rows of data in our database was growing at an unsustainable pace. There aren't any plans to bring that aspect back. Do you have any other suggestions on how to improve the tracking for read markers?

is a Reindeer
VIP
@veeman
>1. On mobile, the fixed navigation bar takes up a lot of space. Something more compact, or a way to hide it would be nice.

You can hide the navigation bar by clicking the second icon of the four on the mobile reader.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Bastadon
>As far as I know, there's still no way to filter out manhwa or manhua for searches. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them but most of the time I tend to skip over them in favor of manga and sometimes the genre searched is packed with them.

You can filter out manhwa or manhua by changing the "original language" field in the advanced search. Manhwa is Korean, Manhua is Chinese, Manga is Japanese. Can't get more than one language in a search at a time though.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@DrNo
@falconuruguay
@Happily_Grim
@Harry_Dong
@Narf
@Daipinchi
@FredFriendly
@TheTruthOfPerfection

>3. Need the option to filter the home page and other pages to prevent the display of unwanted genres.

It's our most requested feature if you took a look at the suggestions megathread. Also stated in the first post "we are interested in feedback on the existing features and layout - not suggestions for new features, there's a forum for that."

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Paltiel
>1) Please consider adding the ability to block groups in the Follows tab, because sometimes 'snipers' release bad quality releases ahead of the slower, but better quality groups.

Blocking groups is a planned feature in the suggestions megathread. We aren't going to block uploaders since blocking groups should be good enough for most purposes and uploaders can change even for the same group releasing chapters. Good point about the "no group" thing though.
Also "we are interested in feedback on the existing features and layout - not suggestions for new features, there's a forum for that."

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Asingh89
1) most popular tab now underneath all/follows columns on mobile (portrait)
2) all/follows tab doesn’t need 2 columns (related to above comment) it should only be 1 column with all/follows pixel width halved (roughly)
3) long strip mode is kind of janky. It freezes and reloads the page bringing you back to the top of the chapter constantly

@Kie

1. Chapter lists/follow lists no longer have alternating colours and have a lot of padding, making it harder to read information per chapter
2. Comments per manga are reverse-chronological order, which makes it hard to follow previous discussion
3. Only last image is clickable in infinite scrolling mode, which makes it hard to binge read/catch up on previous chapters

no reader comments, read the first post. :x deleted

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Kachakali

>1: I like holding and using my tablet one handed and I used to be able to change pages using my left finger or thumb. But if I try to do this now, and touch my screen, it goes to the previous page. I have to tap the right side of the screen to go forward. Im really just being picky though. If this can't be changed, I'll just have to get used to it.

You can change the direction you'd like to tap in (reading direction in the settings) and you can also make it so that it only changes pages in the forward direction (also in the reader settings)

>2: when I'm trying to read those long one page manga/manhua like in the webtoon genre, the whole page gets jumpy and screwy. Maybe I'm going too fast and the webpage is still trying to load. But as I try to use my fingers on my tablet to scroll down, the image jumps to a random place. I refresh the page or scroll back to the top and it happens again. I have to scroll down super slow and hope it doesn't jump around again.

Swipe is a little messed up right now, going to be fixed in the next update. Disable it in reader settings until then.

>3: I still haven't figured out how to filter languages on the updates/follows page. I can read English and Spanish so-so. But I get let down when I think there's a new update to a manga but it's in Russian or Portuguese. Or sometimes a manga a like gets lost as other translations are uploaded.

Click the cog in the top right and change filter chapter languages to only the languages you want to see.

>4: Now that I'm taking about updates, another annoyance is to scroll or swipe the screen to the right a bit on my tablet to see what flag/language just got uploaded and at what time. It happens on my tablet screen whether vertical or horizontal. I guess this kinda applies to the 3rd post. As I have to look twice to see that a manga didn't get re-upped in another language.

same as 3

is a Reindeer
VIP
@HewoThereFriend
1. Seems too cluttered/smashed together for the homepage of the site
2. The new reader is broken for internet explorer, but I am thankful the legacy reader still functions
3. The giant gap between the description and chapters when using internet explorer, not on every book's page but it is on some of them such as "Wonder Cat Kyuu-chan"

Comments about the reader will be deleted :x also don't think there's much we can do about supporting IE since it's a bit outdated, Edge works fine at least
when was the last time you tried the new reader? there was an update that got it to work on most old iOS devices, probably helped

is a Reindeer
VIP
@BobrykRori
>2. I can only see the update for the last six hours. It`s OK in the bookmarks, but how can I see the new manga, which, for example, posted over six hours ago?! You're crazy. What idiot decided to leave only 6 hours?! I work 12 hours, not including travel time. This is a mockery, not an update.

You can click latest updates if you want to see updates all the way back to 5 days ago. The old front page was database intensive. The main point of the update was to reduce db read/writes and improve the reader so that guests could use more features. That's why we have this new front page.

It also seems like you don't have any language filters set, which you can do by clicking the cog in the top right and changing filter chapter languages to only what you want to see.

Staff
Admin
@anki09

1. Front page updates don't show multiple releases, only the latest one if multiple are uploaded.

FYI you can swap back to the old layout with multiple chapters on display in your ettings. The new view is kinder on the server.

There may be a way we can make it obvious other new chapters have being released... Needs investigating.

Staff
Admin
@Hoanghoiham

1. Zooming on mobile interface just increase the size of the top UI, not of the images.

That might be related to what browser you are using. It works for me on up to date Chrome on phone.

3. The "Follow" tab shows new chapter from all languages, with no way to filter out what I want to read

You can filter out languages by using the settings button on the top bar.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@Chaox

Thank you for your feedback. We realize this might be frustrating for readers, but MangaDex has taken great pains to give scanlator groups as much freedom as possible over their content. Our main goal is to stamp out aggregators like KissManga and the like and that means becoming the preferred site to upload for scanlators. If the group delay bothers you, consider talking to the scanlator group in question and seeing if they're willing to change their minds.

@Zephyrus

Thank you for your response. As you probably know most scanlators these day especially the new one only care about the money, so they will never consider removing it or even make it less!
If you can't remove it then at least limit at least to 8 hour max. If your goal is to stamp out aggregators, then i promise you that with this "delay" it's going to be impossible...
If scanlators want to delay , then they make the group private and upload manually instead of showing us those damn countdown. If this continue down the road then people will start leaving, i myself use MangaDex just to support the community and make it bigger.
In case you are interested of what i like to have in a mangas reader:
1- Notification of new chapter.
2- Fast release/No delay system.
3- I don't even use the default reader thanks to userscript so for me it's the same everywhere.

As you can see all i need are those thing, you may say to me that the "Fast release" part don't apply to most aggregators, but i say that as long as i don't see that "in 23 hrs " i don't care.
It's the reader/user that make the platform and not the scanlators. Even if you say without the scanlators there is no platform then i say "aggregators"... When they start making effort they will make it hard for everybody (scanlators and not readers), MangaDex is already helping scanlators more than enough be just giving them personal page that have their info. It make it easier to people to follow them, like them and support them! When in other website if they don't put a page with their name nobody will ever know them.

In my point MangaDex is no different than other aggregators, Its true there is no ads from google adsense but the "delay" part is easily an ad be itself !!! You can make this as a premium feature for scanlators , and they will pay for it every month (some of them, you probably know them).
These day some group use mangas as an easy way to gain money and this site support them more than needed. Scanlations is something you do if you like it, if you don't then leave it. Readers will support the group after they like the quality, and "support" doesn't mean forcing them to go to the group site to read a chapter of a mangas they didn't even draw themselves.

I will be happy to hear your point of view because if this continue on then this is bad, unless that what you want in the first place.

Power Uploader
@Teasday
Did you even consider apologizing for calling Holo a crazy idiot for creating this mockery of an update lol
Me? Nope.
U don't like criticism? So write that there is a tyranny and no freedom of speech, and U all don't give a shit on users. I didn't say that I like this update. I don't like it, but I'm not the owner of the site, so I can only express my " Fi".
images

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@BobrykRori posted:

U don't like criticism?
Criticism is fine, but insulting people because of things you were wrong about isn't called criticism

For example, if I were to call someone a blind moron, that would be very inappropriate of me and not only because I have no idea whether they in fact are either blind or a moron, and if I were to do that I couldn't say "it was just criticism bro" because that's not what criticism is

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Lluvia
>1. Following a manga without having to open it.

You can do this in every single view mode on most of the site. There are clickable follow buttons everywhere.
15ab6a58f3.png

>3. What annoys me the most is having to click on every single page, it would be great if you include the option to read the complete chapter at once.

Change your reader settings to long strip if you want to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread