Got a week to be a NEET; give me suggestions

Dex-chan lover
I think I mastered the art of clickbait now.

I'm on my semester break. Help me to decide the order of which anime to binge from the top of my watchlist:

-Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
-No Game No Life
-Anohana
-Gurren Lagann
-Black Rock Shooter
-Nanana's Buried Treasure
-Maquia
-Goodbye Despair Teacher (1, 2, & 3)
-Tora Dora
-MekakuCity Actors
-Masamune-kun's Revenge
-OreGairu (1 & 2)
-Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
-MushiShi
-A Little Sister's All You Need
-The Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat
-Kokoro Connect

Or maybe I should finish the ones I put on-hold:

-Plastic Memories
-Future Diary
-When They Cry
-Fate/Apocrypha
-Serial Experiment Lain
-Blood Blockade Battlefront and Beyond
-March Comes in Like a Lion s1
-Soul Eater
-Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
-Ancient Magus Bride

Dex-chan lover
I just watched A Silent Voice last night so now I'm craving for anything that will make me emotional or give me adrenaline. That feeling where you keep clicking for the next episode, not because you're a completionist but because you crave for more of the story.

Not Anohana though. I don't wanna cry yet.

For now I'll settle with FMA, I guess.

P.s. I'm not gonna start JoJo yet cause that'll take more than a week, maybe. Someone give me the statistics.

Fed-Kun's army
I'm not an anime person, idk most of those title but i can recommend for sure Full Metal Alchemist is a good one, but it has a lot of episodes.

Contributor
Marquia, Higurashi and March comes like a lion definitely!

Fed-Kun's army
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN Welcome to NEET world.
I haven't watch anything else than seasonal anime for more than a year but, Toradora all the way.
Also if you want another tearjerker movie, kimi no suizou wo tabetai is pretty good (you probably already read the manga).

well, it would be much easier with romaji names, without decrypting english ones...?
anyway... rated (+divided into small subcategories) your list according to my tastes with comments based on my memory, so not sure
the rest is up to you and your mood ;)

action-drama packed story
1 Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (some tearjerk moments warning :)) (completed story)
2 Gurren Lagann (some tearjerk moments warning :)) (completed story)
3 Soul Eater (completed story)
4 No Game No Life (more on comedy, really good but has open ending)
5 Future Diary (more on thriller side with all psychopats chars and has some poor written places in story) (completed story)
6 Black Rock Shooter (completed story)
7 Blood Blockade Battlefront and Beyond (well i watched only s1, so s2 maybe has completed story)
8 MekakuCity Actors (can't really remember ending, so not sure completed story or not)

drama with some rom-com
1 Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (with a bit sci-fi ;)) (open ending)
2 OreGairu (1 & 2) (open ending)
3 Kokoro Connect (completed story)
4 Anohana (completed story)
5 Tora Dora (completed story)
6 Plastic Memories (completed story?)

rom-com with some drama :)
1 Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun (more comedy, open ending)
2 The Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat (completed story)
3 Nanana's Buried Treasure (open ending)

heavy drama
1 Maquia (completed story)
2 When They Cry (sometimes rom-com:)) (completed story)
3 Serial Experiment Lain (completed story?:))

short story series, so can be watched 1-2ep/day, both are very good
MushiShi (slow paced, melancholic) (open ending)
Goodbye Despair Teacher (1, 2, & 3) (comedy with social subtext) (open ending)

not watched, so can't comment on these, just placed based on expectations
1 Fate/Apocrypha
2 March Comes in Like a Lion s1
3 Ancient Magus Bride
4 A Little Sister's All You Need
5 Masamune-kun's Revenge

Group Leader
Definitely recommend No Game No Life, Kokoro Connect, and March Comes in like a Lion.
NGNL is stupid at times, and almost always ridiculous, but a lot of fun to marathon, especially because you constantly want to see what the protags are going to get into next. Total shame it never got a season 2.
Kokoro Connect I watched years ago, so I don't remember it too well, but I liked it a lot for being thoughtful and having interesting story arcs. It doesn't linger on one plot for too long before something different comes next.
Lion is simply one of the most "beautiful" anime I've watched in a long time. The art is fantastic, great music, a pretty big cast of characters you grow to like, and even though it's about something not everyone may fully understand (I sure didn't know anything about shogi when I started), you still care about the things Rei experiences.

That being said, I would not recommend Nanana's Buried Treasure or Serial Experiments Lain. You don't have to take my word for it, but I only bring it up because you mentioned having limited time off. These shows might end up being something you like, but if the question is "what should be FIRST," I don't think these are it.
Nanana didn't have anything particularly wrong with it, but the premise was bizarre and it develops into something I didn't enjoy in the later half of the show. The characters were okay, but I didn't love any of them by the end. I'm also slightly biased because I went into this show expecting it to be about ghosts, but the "ghost" in this show is barely ghost-like at all.
Serial Experiments Lain is a "classic" anime that holds a lot of value for the themes in it, and it's got good animation and presentation. But I remember that when I watched it, it didn't make me feel anything, and it was kind of boring to sit through each episode. Not exactly an exciting show in-the-moment. You should probably finish watching it sometime, but I don't think it's urgent, especially if you put it on hold after watching some in the first place.
Sorry if I ran my mouth too much, lol.

Group Leader
Oh sorry, I didn't use those tags because the contents are spoilers. I have this habit that I use them to prevent a post from being too tall and taking up too much space, which I guess I didn't really need to worry about in hindsight. I just wrote a very vague and general rundown of my thoughts on each show inside the spoilers.

Dex-chan lover
You want something emotional, I recommend Liz and the Blue Bird.

It isn't in your list but its worth it man. It's only two hours of your time, but you'll be treated to a masterwork of animation. The story is really really simple. It's basically about two best friends in concert band who are about to graduate in high school, and how they deal with the fact that they will part ways soon. The way that the anime shows this friendship pans out is just beautiful, from the delicate linework, to the framing of the scenes, to the atmospheric music, to the way they portray their emotions is just ughh. I love it, I absolutely love it, it's up there with 5 cm per second and Sound Euphonium and Little Witch Academia (the OVA) as one of my all time favorite anime.

As for the anime on your list, I recommend you finishing Toradora first. It's one of the best anime romcoms out there. You'll love the characters as the story goes on, Ami especially (best girl by a mile 😉) .

Mushishi is much much better if you watch it after a long day of school or work, rather than binging it all on your break. It's combination of storytelling and art direction just gives you that sense of peace, like an animated bedtime story. It's a great stress reliever anime.

Hope this helps

While you at it I offer you this, genre defining,kafkaesque animes you should watch before you die also they are at top 5 rankings in learn Japanese through anime polls:
Okane ga Nai
Shounen Maid Kuuro-kun: Tenshi no Uta
Boku no Pico
Pico to Chico
and yes you welcome honey.

Dex-chan lover
A little update. I spent my NEET week on Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

I made the right choice.

I think I'm gonna be binging Nozaki-kun, Gurren Lagann, Kokoro Connect, Tora Dora, and The Hentai Prince and Stony Cat over my next semester since the seasonal anime that I'm following is lesser than usual. Thx for the tips and suggestions, guys.

@Synically you evil bastard

P.s. Beyond the Boundary (Kyoukai no Kanata) looks interesting

Users who are viewing this thread