Anime Fanfiction Rec Thread

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
Have a fic related to anime you'd like to share because it's awesome as hell? Post it here!

Format is:

Title (should preferably be a link to the fic)
Link (for those too lazy to make the title a link :p)
Synopsis
Shilling space for you to say why you liked this fic, if you wish to.

Here's two fics to start us off!

Is It Wrong To Want To Be The Overlord Of A Dungeon?
Synopsis: Momonga is the last member of the Guild of Ainz Ooal Gown. After many years of playing his favorite game, Yggdrasil, the servers are finally shutting down. Having put so much work and effort into Nazarick with his forty guild mates, he figured he would stay logged in until the very end. Little did he know that he would be thrust into a new world with a new dungeon to conquer

I like this fic mainly just because I got a couple of chuckles out of a couple of scenes and I do like this particular crossover. It's nothing special but it's a fun read nonetheless.

One Eye, Full of Wisdom
Synopsis: Kakashi survived his losses in spirit as well as in body, and having learned both wisdom and intellect from his experiences, he now seeks to pass those traits on to his students. Story emphasis is on tactical fighting, mind games, adventure, and the occasional bout of humor. GenFic, no story stealing OC's or creepy romance between children.

This is probably one of the *best* Kakashi character studies and Team 7 fics I've ever read. It's fairly AU, I admit, but it's all plausible diversions from canon.

VIP
I have few short ones to start with.

Duplicity by WDW (Naruto)
14k words | 6 chapters | 2013-05-12 | Completed
Synopsis: Rin Nohara wasn't as perfect as everyone thought. A five part story and epilogue. [ObiRin] [Tiny hints of future ObiRinKaka OT3] [AU as of Chapter 629]

- Canon divergence from the Kannabi Bridge era. This one's soooo good.

dreamscape by smartalker (Naruto)
1.1k words | 1 chapter | 2008-10-04 | Completed
Synopsis: Are you still the same person when you live another life? Do you love the same people? Do you even know them? — NejiSakura AU

- It paints a very vivid scene for such a short story.

Her Heartbeat by Racke (Lucky Star)
6.6k words | 1 chapter | 2015-11-06 | Completed
Synopsis: Yutaka's health gives out. And for reasons beyond her, Misao makes a habit of taking detours past the hospital.

- Misao x Yutaka is an uncommon ship, but this was done very well. The feels... (;_;)

Shattered Sunshine by meganekkomeguca (Symphogear)
2.2k words | 1 chapter | 2016-03-19 | Completed
Synopsis: Local Girl Survives Concert Tragedy! You Won't Believe Her Friend's Reaction!

- Summary is pretty self-explanatory. Fits neatly into canon. This was nice. I needed some closure after of all that raw emotion in the first episode.

Contributor
Yesterday Upon the Stairs by PitViperOfDoom
TVTropes Page

Series: Boku no Hero Academia | My Hero Academia
Rated: Teen
Status: 296175 words, 45/? chapters, Ongoing (as of May 7, 2018)

Summary:

Midoriya Izuku has always been written off as weird. As if it's not bad enough to be the quirkless weakling, he has to be the weird quirkless weakling on top of it.

But truthfully, the "weird" part is the only part that's accurate. He's determined not to be a weakling, and in spite of what it says on paper, he's not actually quirkless. Even before meeting All-Might and taking on the power of One For All, Izuku isn't quirkless.

Not that anyone would believe it if he told them.

AKA Deku sees dead people.

That's not even a spoiler. The writing is so good, it's so much more than that plot device, and I highly encourage you to read it. It's so good the AU has AUs!
(ie. UA Unsolved by kabukichou)

Like, holy shit if you guys haven't read this yet. There's a reason it's one of the most popular fanfics on AO3, and it's because the writing is so brilliant and the premise so intriguing. Seriously, just give the first chapter a try. You won't regret it.
I honestly prefer this as the canon and get genuinely confused that Deku can't see dead people in the manga/anime.

Features: BAMF!Midoriya, spoopy ghosts, fantastic OCs, canon major character death that actually improves upon the original character after their death, decent representation of PTSD and it's effects on the psyche, no romance/smut, a healthy and heartwarming queerplatonic friendship between two men, asexual representation, wonderful fanart.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
True Love Waits by Adam Kadmon
Synopsis: It waits, even when you abandon hope, even when you swear never again.

This is kind of a hard fic to comment on. I like Eva fics, mostly because they force me to think in ways that I hadn't ever considered before. Throw a stone at the Eva fandom and you're probably going to hit an introspective character deconstruction. That and time-travelling Gendo Ikari.

I like the author's style, which is why I was really initially excited to read a MisatoxShinji fic (don't look at me like that, it's not *really* straight shota!) in a fandom bereft of those pairings. To my surprise, I found myself crying a little bit at the end of this story. That's not to say it's a sad story...but you should read it and see for yourself!

@Letheliah I will second that rec. I've been waiting for it to build up some chapters so I can binge read the whole thing again.

VIP
Anything Worth Doing is Worth Doing Badly by ZipCode (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
12.4k words | 2 chapters | 2011-04-07
Synopsis: Homura wakes up in a world where the only witch is the one in her head.

- I really love the kind of surreal vibe this one gives off. The terse, disjointed style of writing fits well with Homura's detached, damaged state of mind.

Astraphobia by hungrybookworm (Touhou Project)
8.6k words | 3 chapters | 2015-04-29 | Complete
Synopsis: Gensokyo is battered by intense rain, and Reimu Hakurei is struck by lightning while investigating the cause. Marisa Kirisame watches her fall, powerless to save her. But help lies in an unexpected place...

- Set around the time of Mountain of Faith (TH10), focusing on Sanae, Marisa, and Reimu.
- This one has illustrations! And they're actually good!

Dreaming by Sakiku (Naruto)
4.5k words | 1 chapter | 2010-09-23 | Complete
Synopsis: Kakashi has a strange recurring dream. And it makes him brush the edges of sanity. Maybe it even takes him beyond. Or maybe he is already on the beyond? Oneshot

- In his dream, he's a patient in an insane asylum set in our real world (the one with cars and technology and whatnot). Here, the doctors think that Kakashi's life in Konoha as a Jounin is the dream.
- Mainly I just love the tranquil and mundane atmosphere of this fanfic. Very calming. The philosophical implications of dream world vs real world are also fun to think about.

Waking by Sakiku (Naruto)
6.5k words | 1 chapter | 2011-06-08 | Complete
Synopsis: Sequel to 'Dreaming'. Kakashi's recurring dream takes up more and more of his life. And he doesn't know whether to be grateful for it.

- More blurring of boundaries between reality and dream and between waking and sleeping. It's great.
- This is a sequel to the one above.

Dream a Little Dream of Me by TPKTheStoicTPK (A Certain Scientific Railgun)
4.2k words | 1 chapter | 2014-10-03 | Complete
Synopsis: There are several kinds of dreams. Some of them are good, some of them are bad, and then there are some that you never want to leave.

- A wholesome Kuroko x Misaka fic set during the Indian Poker arc. Misaka ends up in Kuroko's dream, and it's not what she expected at all.
- I like that this one doesn't make a gag out of Kuroko's affections and actually explores her love for Misaka in a non-lewd way for once.

A Kiss to Build a Dream On by TPKTheStoicTPK (A Certain Scientific Railgun)
5.0k words | 1 chapter | 2015-04-19 | Complete
Synopsis: Dreams are always a nice thing to have, but often the best thing about them is making them come true. A sequel to Dream a Little Dream of Me.

- An adorable sequel to the one above.

Well, somehow this became a dream/reality-themed post (^_^)

L2X

Topple Your Kings by S. Silea (Code Geass x High School DxD)
Synopsis: The board was wiped clean with his death, and he found it replaced anew upon his awakening. When pieces begin to make themselves known, what else can he do but play?
A crossover fic that still retains the smart and devious Lelouch but combines that into the power centric world of DxD. The character interactions are fun and well-meaning. Nothing feels outright forced and has a natural sense of progress.

Dancing Thoughts by camain1s
Series: Oreimo
181k | Ongoing | Contains Incest
Synopsis: Even if there were something between us...should we pursue it? Or should we bury it deep down and pretend we feel nothing? Maybe there is no right answer...but what if this is our chance to be happy? How can I deal with these painful and dancing thoughts? AN: Picks up after Episode 13 of S2.

It's basically an alternate ending to Oreimo, and honestly much better than the actual ending. I love it because of how suspenseful it gets and how emotional it made me.

Users who are viewing this thread